Tuesday, January 17, 2017

The Measure of Time

The Measurement of Time

As I peruse Facebook, I notice a post regarding a parent of one of my former students. This post is asking for prayer for a momma. My mind begins to wander, wander, wander back to when this student was one of mine. Yes, mine. Each student received a part of my heart during the time he or she was part of my class. This particular parent is the parent for whom I have prayed the most of all my school children. When he was in my class, I would pray that his mom would make it until he finished my room. After he left my class, I would pray that his momma would be around until he finished elementary school. Each urgent prayer was driven by specific event or time frame. I just couldn't imagine this boy without his momma. As he entered junior high and I would see posts to pray for his mom, I would pray that his momma would still be there until he finished junior high school. This line of prayer continued through high school when I would see a post about his mom's health. Again, each prayer was said for specific measurement of time. Even tonight, as I paused to pray, my thoughts went to "Lord, please be with this momma during this time. Please let her be there until her sons marry." I started to realize that each prayer was being measured by a specific event or time frame. My mind even went to the concept of I could pray for her to be there when her first grandchildren are born. That's when I realized that I, as a human, measure time by events and specific lines. That is not how God measures time. While my intentions were good and earnest, they were very limited. I should have been praying for this momma to be there until God said it was time for her to go home, until God said her work was done.
Thought: Since God is limitless, why do I limit my prayers?

1 comment:

  1. Your post made me think of a song that a couple in our church has sung.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-RIrE5_L6U#action=share

    ReplyDelete